Friday, March 17, 2017

The #FridayReads Review (3/17/17)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
The Good, the Bad & the Uncanny by Simon R. Green (MMP)
I found I was in desperate need of a dime novel read, so I decided to grab my next Nightside. But while the world and characters continue to be such fun, this has been a rather painful read. The writing is finally up to snuff, but this volume feels more like a collection of random acquaintance interactions sandwiched between two brief adventures, all unconnected except for a thread of coincidence and with generally no coherence at all. I suspect this is a "prologue" volume, which I can never stand under any circumstance. But despite the pain, I really had needed a Nightside fix and am otherwise enjoying the general read immensely.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
Yona of the Dawn, Vol. 4
Yona of the Dawn vol. 4 by Mizuhu Kusanagi (PBK)
4.5 Stars. Now this was more like it! After three rather middling volumes I wasn't sure how much longer I could stick with this lackluster series, but as we got to see more of the characters' personalities and with the addition of magic in the last volume, this volume was really good. Here's hoping the series only continues to get better!


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
The Marked Girl (Marked Girl, #1)
The Marked Girl by Lindsey Klingele (ARC)
Put this on hold for a while but hoping to finally finish it after Nightside. About 70% through.


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment